Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Math Talks and Read Alouds

In Math, we have been discussing and working on problems related to 1 000 000. We are trying to make sense of large numbers (i.e. understanding magnitude).

The class has bought in amazingly well to the concept of Math Talks and respecting each others' understanding and strategies. The students have been listening to myself and each other to build upon their own understanding and they have been taking risks by sharing even if unsure of the correctness of their answer.

In Language, I have been reading a novel called "Dunk" by David Lubar. Reading an engaging book aloud to the class allows me to model how 'good readers' read and think about texts. I am able to provide mini-lessons and emphasize different reading strategies (e.g., making connections, visualizing) in order to help students better understand how to improve the quality of their reading responses when done independently.

It is very exciting to be part of rich discussions and observe meaningful dialogue between students.


Last updated...

Welcome back... I've found that this platform allows me to communicate everything that is going on in my class and at the school. Plea...