Monday, November 30, 2015

Strategies for completing homework when you're stuck

Over many years of teaching, I have heard the following statement more times than I can count:

"I couldn't finish my homework because I didn't understand it!" (or some similar variation)

I personally do not assign homework just for the sake of it; more often, it is for students to practise a new skill or to move more quickly through a unit that should not require as much direct instruction.

When 'stuck' try:

  • asking a friend / classmate / peer
  • asking an older sibling or parent
  • reviewing notes in workbooks and/or text books
  • looking up answers on-line
    • e.g., from this past weekend's homework, some students did not know what a 'reflex angle' was (even though there was a mini lesson on Thursday) --> 'Google it': "what is a reflex angle?"
Good luck next time!

Last updated...

Welcome back... I've found that this platform allows me to communicate everything that is going on in my class and at the school. Plea...